The Bright Sheng Partnership: Composers Meet Performers in Hong Kong
Hailed by the Financial Times as a festival with a “finely hewn sense of craft,” Intimacy of Creativity returns for another innovative season from April 23 to May 6, 2018!
Intimacy of Creativity explores the creative process after public, in-depth Open Discussions on the campus of the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), which presents the festival. The revised compositions are formally presented at Preview Concerts on the campus of HKUST, and World Premiere Concerts are held in renowned venues in downtown Hong Kong.
Founder and Artistic Director Bright Sheng is joined by the critically acclaimed Israeli Chamber Project, Ensemble-in-Residence; Guest Artists Gilad Hochman, recipient of the Israeli Prime Minister’s Prize; Yael Manor, Guest Artist and noted Israeli contemporary pianist; acclaimed Guest Artists from Hong Kong; and up to 6 emerging Composer Fellows selected through an international call-for-scores.
IC2018 Call For Scores Guidelines
Eligibility and Guidelines
1. Up to six (6) Composer Fellows will be selected to participate in season events
2. Applicants MUST be emerging composers at the early stages of their career
3. Selected Composer Fellows MUST be willing to work with Bright Sheng and Guest Artists to make necessary revisions to their score and parts BEFORE events begin
4. Selected Composer Fellows MUST also be comfortable working with Bright Sheng and Guest Artists DURING PUBLIC, OPEN DISCUSSIONS to make additional necessary revisions to score and parts before the final public concert presentations
- Each selected Composer Fellow will be offered:
- Round-trip economy airfare to Hong Kong
- Per diem
IC2018 Radio Broadcast and Naxos Digital Services Release
1. World Premiere Concerts featuring the works of selected Composer Fellows will be broadcast on Radio Television Hong Kong (RTHK) Radio 4, the media partner of the Intimacy of Creativity and HKUST
2. Performance recordings of featured works of selected Composer Fellows may be released on the Naxos Digital Services
Israel Chamber Project Season Collaboration
1. One Composer Fellow may be selected to have their featured work programmed on the 2018-19 Israel season of the Israeli Chamber Project, the season partner of IC2018
1. One Composer Fellow may be offered a one-year position at HKUST as Composer-in-Residence/Visiting Scholar in the Division of Humanities for the 2018-19 academic year
1. Each composer may submit up to 3 instrumental chamber works for 2-6 performers drawn from the following instrumentation: clarinet (no bass-clarinet), 2 violins, viola, violoncello, piano (two hands only)
2. Only ONE work from each selected Composer Fellow will be featured on the IC2018 season
3. Works incorporating electronic elements WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED
4. Each work submitted should be no longer than 8 minutes in duration
5. Past IC Composer Fellows are INELIGIBLE to apply
1. All submissions will be reviewed by a First-Round Selection Panel, including noted musicians from Hong Kong
2. Final Round Selection will be made by Artistic Director Bright Sheng, who may request initial revisions be made prior to confirmation of selection
- Composers are asked to submit the following via the online submission form below by the receipt deadline:
- Legible, professionally-prepared score(s) AND parts for each work submitted (PDF format only).
- Though not necessary, the composer may also send accompanying performance recordings of the submitted work(s) if available (MP3 format only).
- CV, including education background and contact information (only) for two (2) professional references (PDF format only).
- Program note in English (and Chinese, if available) for each work submitted – 150 word/100 Chinese character maximum (PDF format only).
- Biography in English (and Chinese, if available) – 200 word/150 Chinese character maximum (PDF format only).
- High resolution color headshot (at least 1MB in size).
- Label submitted files using the following format:
- Score PDF file(s): IC2018.[Surname].[Name].[work title].pdf
- Part PDF files: IC2018.[Surname].[Name].[work title].pdf
- Recording MP3 file(s): IC2018.[Surname].[Name].[work title].mp3
- CV PDF file: IC2018.[Surname].[Name].CV.pdf
1. 11:59PM (Hong Kong Time) October 6, 2017 (Friday) : Deadline to submit e-application via form below
2. Early Nov, 2017: Notification of short-listed Composer Fellows and phone consultation with Bright Sheng regarding initial revisions to selected works
3. Early Dec, 2017: Deadline to submit final revised scores and parts for short-listed candidates for final consideration
4. By early Jan, 2018: Announcement of final selected Composer Fellows
5. April 23 – 27, 2018: IC2018 Week 1 Open Discussions (HKUST)
6. April 28, 2018: IC2018 Preview Concert 1 (HKUST)
7. April 29, 2018: IC2018 World Premiere Concert 1 (Concert Hall, Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts)
8. April 30 – May 4, 2018: IC2018 Week 2 Open Discussions (HKUST)
9. May 5, 2018: IC2018 Preview Concert 2 (HKUST)
10. May 6, 2018: IC2018 World Premiere Concert 2 (Hong Kong City Hall Theatre)
The Intimacy of Creativity
School of Humanities and Social Science
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Clear Water Bay, Kowloon
(852) 2358 8025